Lead Phlebotomist – Job #264
Be dedicated in supporting the regional community by helping PRL become the laboratory provider of choice by offering high quality results using cutting edge technology, superior customer service, and tailored information system solutions. Ensure correct and accurate specimen collection and processing procedures are performed on all patients. Communicate appropriately and effectively with employees and all associated departments. Acts as a major resource for employees on all shifts and assigned locations. Resolves problems with specimens and personnel as needed. Assists manger with training and have the ability to direct workflow. Provide support to the manager. Demonstrate excellence, honesty/integrity, mutual respect/teamwork, compassion, commitment to staff and patient safety, continuous improvement, ongoing education and training, collegial work environment, and stewardship of resources.
- Performs duties of a phlebotomist
- Follows protocols in the departmental policies and procedures.
- Adhere to established work schedules.
- Demonstrate accuracy and proficiency in registering and ordering laboratory tests through the laboratory information system.
- Ensures the requisition contains the appropriate information for each patient.
- Collects, handles, and processes specimens accurately and according to established procedures.
- Labels specimens accurately and according to established procedures.
- Assists other personnel as required.
- Readily participates in the training of new personnel as needed.
- Adheres to all requirements of PRL safety, environmental and infection control programs including biohazard waste programs.
- Maintains temperature and centrifuge logs accurately and informs Manager when variances from specifications occur.
- Follows all HCFA medically necessary procedures, understanding all compliance related procedures in accordance with HIPAA guidelines.
- Communicates effectively with all age groups, patients, their families, staff, colleagues, and physicians.
- Ensure that all customers/patients are helped appropriately and in a timely manner.
- Act as a mentor and trainer to all phlebotomists’ and phlebotomy students.
- Provides consistent enforcement of policies and procedures.
- Assists’ the phlebotomy supervisor with scheduling, to ensure all shifts are properly covered for the workload and helps arrange coverage during sick and vacation time.
- Assumes responsibility for daily operations at his/her designated location(s).
- Verifies the most efficient workflow and specimen flow by adjusting phlebotomy coworker’s duties and breaks as needed.
- Is first in line to aid and address customer and patient concerns.
- Communicates both positive and negative comments to Supervisor/Manager and suggests performance improvement to processes and procedures.
- Maintains appropriate inventory levels.
- Maintains and manages QC and API testing/data.
- Volunteers for additional responsibility to assist Supervisor/Manager.
- Maintains technical knowledge through continuing education.
- Completes annual competency successfully.
- Collects CQI data and monitors quality improvement within the department.
- Attends meetings and participates on committees as requested by Manager.
- Works within the framework of PRL policies.
- Adheres to PRL policies regarding sick time, attendance, rest and meal breaks and dress code.
- Reports and corrects unsafe conditions.
- Accepts constructive feedback in a professional manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Two (2) years laboratory experience or equivalent
- Phlebotomy experience preferred.
High School Diploma or equivalent required.
Valid driver’s license required.
License/Certification: PBT(ASCP) Certification
Washington State Medical Assistant Phlebotomist Certification (or eligible to obtain)
Preferred Position Qualifications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Accurate data entry skills and word processing
- Good leadership and organizational skills
Drug Free Workplace