Phlebotomist Job # 56
Collect blood from patients, check quality of blood and assume responsibility for safety and comfort of patient following established standards and practices.
1) Human Negotiation Skills
a. Follow Laboratory Thinking and displays a professional appearance at all times with employees and clients.
b. Seeks and maintains a positive mental attitude and is helpful and courteous.
c. Motivates employees to produce high quality results.
d. Participates in continuing education.
2) Operation Excellence
a. Complies with all safety policies and procedures.
b. Assists manager to plan, organize, implement and control department for high quality standards and results.
c. Complies with laws, regulatory agencies and professional oversight groups, i.e., TJC, CAP.
d. Maintains competence of employees by consistent enforcement of policies and procedures.
e. Maintains strict patient confidentiality.
3) Objective Management
a. Special Projects: listed on Performance Evaluation as assigned.
4) Position Summary
• Performs duties according to established standard techniques and procedures while utilizing proper equipment.
• Follows strict principles of asepsis and antisepsis in performing duties.
• Assemble supplies and equipment. Ensure equipment is clean and functioning properly.
• Maintains the work area and test tray in sanitary condition.
• Process specimens accordingly when needed.
• Store and label blood as required.
• Participate in Quality Control.
• Maintain employee updates, in-services and meetings as required.
• Assist in orientation and training of volunteers, students, and new employees as requested.
• Consult with and keep supervisor informed of needs, activities and problems.
• Work overtime if necessary to provide the best coverage possible in the event of a scheduling crisis.
• Perform other duties as directed.
Typing, data entry and computer skills preferred.
Phlebotomy experience preferred.
High School Diploma or equivalent required.
Valid driver’s license required.
Drug Free Workplace