Specimen Processing Supervisor – HRS 0094
Be dedicated in supporting the regional community by helping PRL become the laboratory provider of choice by offering high quality results using cutting edge technology, superior customer service, and tailored information system solutions. Ensure correct and accurate specimen processing procedures are performed on all patients. Communicate appropriately and effectively with employees and all associated departments. Acts as a major resource for employees on all shifts. Resolves problems with specimens and personnel as needed. Assists manger with training and have the ability to direct workflow. Provide support to the manager. Demonstrate excellence, honesty/integrity, mutual respect/teamwork, compassion, commitment to staff and patient safety, continuous improvement, ongoing education and training, collegial work environment, and stewardship of resources.
- Directs, supervises, and coordinates daily functions and activities of the specimen processing department.
- Prepares work assignments, evaluates work performance and makes recommendations for personnel actions.
- Inspects and observes personnel practices and takes appropriate action when violations occur.
- Participates in interviewing and hiring of new personnel.
- Follow protocols in the departmental policies and procedures.
- Adhere to established work schedules.
- Demonstrate accuracy and proficiency in registering and ordering laboratory tests through the laboratory information system.
- Label’s specimens accurately and according to established procedures.
- Handles requests for special services such as STAT and Timed draw specimens, prudently and efficiently.
- Assists other personnel as required.
- Ensures the requisition contains the appropriate information for each patient.
- Adheres to all requirements of PRL safety, environmental and infection control programs including biohazard waste programs.
- Maintains temperature and centrifuge logs accurately and informs Manager when variances from specifications occur.
- Follows all HCFA medically necessary procedures, understanding all compliance related procedures in accordance with HIPAA guidelines.
- Communicates effectively with patients, their families, staff, colleagues, and physicians.
- Ensure that all customers/patients are helped appropriately and in a timely manner.
- Act as a mentor and trainer to all Laboratory Aides’.
- Develops and maintains documentation including training materials, procedures, and policy manuals. Provides consistent enforcement of policies and procedures.
- Coordinates the processing schedule to ensure all shifts are properly covered for the workload and helps arrange coverage during sick and vacation time.
- Performs duties of a Laboratory Aide as needed.
- Oversee the coaching and counseling of staff.
- Responsible for interviewing and hiring candidates.
- Is first in line to aid and address customer and patient concerns.
- Be responsible for communication from Manager to all Laboratory Aides’.
- Communicates both positive and negative comments to Manager and suggests performance improvement to processes and procedures.
- Assists Manager in keeping appropriate inventory levels.
- Volunteers for additional responsibility to assist Manager.
- Maintains technical knowledge through continuing education.
- Completes annual competency successfully and assists Manager in completing Laboratory Aide annual competencies.
- Collects CQI data and monitors quality improvement within the department.
- Attends meeting and participates on committees as requested by Manager.
- Works within the framework of PRL policies and procedures.
- Adheres to PRL policies regarding sick time, attendance, rest and meal breaks and dress code.
- Reports and corrects unsafe conditions.
- Accepts constructive feedback in a professional manner.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Three (3) years laboratory experience or equivalent
- High School Diploma or GED
Preferred Position Qualifications
- Bachelor of Science in Biology, Phlebotomy certification or equivalent
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Accurate data entry skills and word processing
Good leadership and organizational skills
Drug Free Workplace